Sugar Low

We’ve all been there. That afternoon slump when you really need some sugar to get you fired up again. But that’s not the type of sugar low we’re talking about here. This is – you guessed it – about having a low-sugar diet that is both delicious and packed full of energy.

 

The thing about sugar is that it comes in many guises and can easily sneak into our foods unobserved. Apparently, our good friends over in Britain consume an average of 90 grams of sugar per day, or around 23 teaspoons. Now that’s a lot of sugary tea!

 

But – aside from the standard granulated white stuff – honey, fruit juice, fructose, glucose and corn syrup are all types of sugar with various levels of refinement. And, what’s more – all that is sugary is not sweet, and by that we mean that many non-sweet foods are actually full of hidden sugar. For example, 100 grams of tomato sauce contains, on average, 1 teaspoon of sugar. Now, would you really sprinkle that over your fries? Salad dressing and white pasta are two other culprits – both typically packing a lot of sugar that isn’t immediately apparent in the flavour.

 

From a positive perspective, low sugar is the target, not no sugar, and it’s relatively easy to achieve. They say knowledge is power, and that is definitely true in this case. Knowing what to look out for is half the battle, and the second half is choosing raw over refined. That means, at breakfast time, try swapping your sugary cereal out for plain options and adding fresh fruits – you’ll get the same energy hit, but it will be longer lasting and better for you. If toast is your morning fix, opt for grain or wholemeal bread and top with just a leetle bit less spread than normal, or try avocado and basil instead.

When it comes to lunch and dinner, the quickest way to cut back is to skip the sauces. Remember that tomato sauce example? Case in point. A squeeze of citrus over your salad is a fresh and tasty alternative to mayonnaise, and homemade sauce is generally lower in sugar than anything that comes in a jar.

Snacks and desserts are possibly the hardest to manage, as we so often crave something sweet. Aim for the 80/20 rule – 80 percent of your snacks should be healthy but allow yourself a treat for the remaining 20 percent.

The good news? Dark chocolate contains less sugar than its milk and white counterparts and will still satisfy that craving if nothing else will. (As well as releasing all kinds of feel-good endorphins!)

Recipe Inspirations

Plum Sauce

Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sugar-free Oat Crackers

No-Sugar Raspberry Traybake

Leave a Reply

Table of Contents

On Key

Related Posts

How to Grow Lemongrass

Lemongrass – likely the reason you cannot get enough of that Vietnamese broth. A hallmark of South Asian cuisine, this vivacious herb sure makes its

Chocolate to the Rescue

Chocolate, that’s what Grandma Rachel was daydreaming about! She was sitting at the kitchen counter, clicking through the El Gusto website and dreaming about chocolate,

Mint

Picture a beautiful lamb dinner, with spectacular dark brown gravy, crispy potatoes, fresh spring peas; but no mint sauce?? Surely not! What about that tall

Cooking With Coffee

May I bring you a cup of coffee? Welcome words to the cold and weary, the newly awoken, the late-night student, and the busy Mom.